Thinking... Inside the Box
The Strang System is an internationally-patented system for the safe and secure containerization of heavy and bulky cargoes.
The Strang System is a safe, efficient and flexible method of securing heavy cargo for intermodal transport. Using a patented restraining technique incorporating Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), Strang Systems can help deliver your cargo to your consignee in the shortest possible timeframe and without damage.
Tired of waiting for infrequent bulk carriers to deliver your cargo? Tired of huge inventory requirements and warehousing costs, waiting for the next bulk shipment? Or exhaustive lead times? Had enough of costly damages to your cargo or containers from traditional timber dunnage and strapping?
The Strang System is the answer.
The Strang System can safely secure all manner of heavy, bulky or difficult cargo into a regular 20' container. So your cargo can leave on the very next vessel, or train, or truck.
The Advantages of the Strang System
The Strang System began in the early 2000s, when company chairman Robert W. A. Strang noticed expanded polystyrene (EPS) used as the foundation in road making, and recognised its strength and durability. Today, over 1,000,000 metric tonnes are shipped worldwide each year using the Strang System.
It was designed as a solution to the eternal problem of containerising steel coils - of securing a heavy cylindrical object inside a much lighter box.
In seven years of operation, the Strang System has been completely damage-free. That is, not a single incident of damage to cargo or container has been attributed to the Strang System.
That means your cargo will arrive safely, every time.
Use the Strang System and you will experience:
- Increased container utilization. The Strang System can load up to maximum capacity in each container ‐ that's up to 28 tonnes in a single container. That means you need fewer containers for your cargo, and can bank a reduction in costs throughout the supply chain.
- Eliminating double-handling. The Strang System is fully intermodal, allowing for seamless transition between road, rail and marine vessels without the need to devan your cargo (subject to regional road-weight limits).
- EPS is 100% recyclable ‐ as opposed to timber, which can only be used for one shipment.
- Warehousing at sea. Converting from breakbulk to containerization revolutionizes your inventory management.
- Individual solutions. Having difficulty with your cargo? Strang Systems can create a tailored solution using our extensive knowledge and wealth of experience.
Expanded Polysytrene No Lightweight Material
Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is a lightweight cellular plastic material. It is made up of small hollow spherical balls, approximately 98% air by volume.
It is widely used in everyday applications where its light weight, strength, durability, thermal insulation and shock absorption characteristics provide economic, high performance products.
The energy required to manufacture and transport EPS is much less than competing materials such as timber, straw, cork or cardboard.
EPS is 100% recyclable, governed by the international resin identification code 6.
Ocean Liner & Railroad Acceptance
The Strang System is used in containers loaded on major shipping lines including:
In North America, the Strang System is under provisional approval on the CN for cargo originating in Japan and Korea.
The Strang System
In Japan, Yusen Logistics has five operational sites, at Yokohama, Nagoya, Kobe, Tokuyama on the Inland Sea and Hibiki in Kitakyushu.
In Korea, our exclusive partner SeJung Shipping operates out of Busan and Gwangyang.
We have our own operations at Laem Chabang in Thailand.
The Strang System is entrusted to deliver the cargoes of ferrous and non-ferrous metal producers around the globe, including: